So I can forgive and understand Colin Powell - it's temporary derangement induced by George W.
What is it about the equalizing online medium that allows trolls to take over the discussion and push out anybody interested in rational conversation?
I propose that VC--in the spirit of revamping fonts and formats--consider a contest to vote off one of the bloggers. Open an election and see who people can't stand. Could be interesting, and my vote might actually win.
Does he exhibit handed-ness? (Muslims believe that certain things should be done with only the right, or left, hand)
1. Thou shalt not adore any other God. Therefore take heed not to enter into covenant with the inhabitants of the country; neither take for your sons their daughters in marriage. They would allure thee to the worship of false gods. Much less shall you in any place erect images.
2. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep. Seven days shalt thou eat unleavened bread, at the time of the month Abib; to remember that about that time, I delivered thee from Egypt.
3. Every first born of the mother is mine; the male of thine herd, be it stock or flock. But you shall replace the first born of an ass with a sheep. The first born of your sons shall you redeem. No man shall appear before me with empty hands.
4. Six days shalt thou labor. The seventh day thou shalt rest from ploughing and gathering.
5. The feast of weeks shalt thou keep with the firstlings of the wheat harvest ; and the feast of harvesting at the end of the year.
6. Thrice in every year all male persons shall appear before the Lord. Nobody shall invade your country, as long as you obey this command.
7. Thou shalt not sacrifice the blood of a sacrifice of mine, upon leavened bread.
8. The sacrifice of the Passover shall not remain till the next day.
9. The firstlings of the produce of your land, thou shalt bring to the house of the Lord.
10. Thou shalt not boil the kid, while it is yet sucking.
And the Lord spake to Moses: Write those words, as after these words I made with you and with Israel a covenant.
When and where originated our ten commandments? The tables and the ark were lost. Authentic copies in few, if any hands; the ten Precepts could not be observed, and were little remembered. If the book of Deuteronomy was compiled, during or after the Babylonian captivity, from traditions, the error or amendment might come in those.
-- To Thomas Jefferson, Nov. 15, 1813.
Oh, and Obama will win, win legitimately and convincingly, and my conservative friends, trust me: it won't be the end of the world. Really.
I view Powell's endorsement the same way. He obviously lost a lot of credibility and put his historical stature at risk by going to the mat based on the Bush admin's intelligence regarding WMD.
No doubt he's troubled by the extent to which McCain has aligned himself with W's decisions and policy on Iraq.
Other than the obvious one: McCain and his supporters really want to win, and therefore they must try to destroy Powell personally rather than by addressing his arguments rationally.
So your position is that Powell was duped? Get real, if Powell has that attitude he's gone batty.
The pie will be bigger, more new medical treatments investigated, more bridges rebuilt. People will gladly discard old, less safe vehicles for government-provided green vehicles. The same sort of people who run the DMV will make medical decisions.
Anytime economic decisions are made by politicians for political reasons instead of by the people who created the wealth by their effort and risk, we all become more wealthy. Everything speeds up, the economy becomes more efficient.
(Certainly thousands have died as a result of the last 8 years of a Republican presidency).
So, then, what does explain it? It sounds to me like you're in the "Powell's endorsement of Obama is about nothing other than racial solidarity" camp.
Wait a minute. Wasn't Powell listening when McCain was asked about litmus tests for judges? Or how McCain barely managed to get the republican party to support him because everyone believes he'd appoint fairly liberal judges.
I once used the urinal next to Obama and noticed that he would only hold his weiner in his left hand. I think that settles it, John Smithy. Fine detective work.
Not much time left, but here's a quickie.
Does Obama remain the Muslim he was at birth?
Powell was commissioned a second lieutenant in the United States Army, and was one of the 16,000 military advisors dispatched to South Vietnam by President Kennedy in 1962. In 1963, Lieutenant Powell was wounded by a punji-stick booby trap while patrolling the Vietnamese border with Laos. He was awarded the Purple Heart, and later that year, the Bronze Star. Powell served a second tour of duty in Vietnam in 1968-69. During this second tour he was injured in a helicopter crash. Despite his own injuries, he managed to rescue his comrades from the burning helicopter and was awarded the Soldier's Medal. In all, he has received 11 military decorations, including the Legion of Merit.
Wait, Obama isn't a bomb throwing Communist? That can't be right...
So you evidently think this wasn't a sound reason for Powell's support for Obama, right?
Oh wait, do I see a Godwinn's Law issue above?